Friday, March 6, 2009

Young Superstars #39 - Kal Daniels


The jersey looks like someting out of a 1950s sci-fi film. Especially the wrist wrap things... "We come from the planet Kalvoski, beware our big sticks and goofy goggles."

For some reason I remeber Kal Daniels as being a much better player than he was. And for some reason in my mind he had a much longer career than seven years. I guess because I always seemed to be pulling him out of packs. I probably have at least one Kal Daniels from every set I collected between 1988 and 1992.

My faulty memory aside, Daniels had an ok career. He got off to a great start his first several years, but his numbers fell off sharply after about 1988 and he only played in 55 games in 1989. He had a pretty good year in 1990, but was finished after 1992 at the age of 28.

Kalvoski Daniels' career statistics

3 comments:

Andy said...

Daniels WAS a good player and put up really good numbers in his short time in the majors. Like with so many other players, it was "just" injuries that prevented him from having a longer and more noteworthy career.

Check out my 88 Topps Cards card for Daniels for more on how good his numbers were.

Ben said...

I'm really not sure how I missed that. I guess I just saw 26 homers and didn't look at the ABs.

It's sad how many good guys just can't stay healthy.

Andy said...

Maybe a little HGH would help them heal up.