Thursday, February 5, 2009

1988 Score is complete!

I went to the mailbox and there was a package. The final fifteen cards I needed to complete 1988 Score! Woohoo! 20+ years have passed since I started, and now it's finished. This may sound silly, but words can't really describe how nice it feels to put this one to bed.

I love my '91 Upper Deck factory set, it's one of the prides of my collection. But it's a factory set. It's all there and has always been all there. This Score set was put together card by card. It was fun to see all the cards. If I look over the checklist, in my mind I can see just about every card. I have no idea what card number 482 of the 1991 UD set looks like.

When I started this blog, I think I had about 170 cards of the set and an unopened box to dig through. When I finished the box I was missing about 150 cards. Through help from readers, trades and finally picking up the final cards on Sportslots.com I'm there.

Where are we going from here? Well, we've got a good start on the Young Superstars sets, more of those will be coming every day. Andy's running through the traded set, but I intend to pick that up sometime soon. My '87 Topps set is nearing completion.

I think at this point, I'm going to shift my focus to '09 Topps for the time being, at least until I make some headway with it. That '89 Topps set is looking awfully lonely in its box, I think it'll need to be completed sometime in the future, and I'm always looking for '81 Topps.

Maybe this summer I'll make a project out of 1992 Score. I've always really liked it, but it's huge. Or maybe I'll buy a few boxes of 1994 Fleer Ultra, it's one of my all time favorites. Who knows.

Check back later tonight, I've got a post about the high end of card collecting in the works.