Tuesday, March 10, 2009

6 + 7 = 13 Steve Avery (mailday part three)

Now for the conclusion of our three part mail day from Dave at Indians Baseball Cards.

My Steve Avery player collection got a nice boost today and is now up to thirteen. Sure it doesn't rival some player collections out there, but someday it may.

Here we go:


1989 Bowman #268: I remember buying one pack of Bowman in 1989 and thinking "what the hell am I going to do with this?" At eight years old, non-standard size cards were too much for my little brain to handle. Since then, I've really started to like this set.

I've been thinking about building another older set this summer and I've narrowed my choices down to 1989 Bowman or 1989 Score. Seeing this card today, I'm leaning towards Bowman.

This is a really great looking card. Nice classic pose, very understated design.


1990 Bowman #9: Another great looking Bowman design, with a not so great photo. Ominous storm cloud above his head, a spotlight on his face. This is more typical of Topps photography than the '89 Bowman.

This is another set I'd like to build, but the '89 set is just a bit more quirky and looks like it'd be a lot of fun.

The reverse notes that at the time of printing, Steve still hadn't thrown a major league pitch. But does tell us that he threw at Durham (when they were still a Braves A level club) and at Greenville (when it was the Braves Double A stop).


1991 Upper Deck #365: I actually already had this card, but as it's part of my factory set, I didn't really remember it. When I realized that there was a Steve Avery in 1991 UD, I'd planned on picking up another copy rather than take something out of the factory set. Now I don't have to.

As much as I like 1991 UD, this is my least favorite Steve Avery card of those that I have. The photo on the reverse would have been much better for the front. I'm not sure why they chose the silly pose that they did.


1992 Fleer Ultra #157: This is the first time I've ever seen a 1992 Ultra. I must say, I really like it. Maybe more than 94 Ultra which has always been a favorite of mine.

The photo on the front is great. Is that Candlestick?

On the back we see stats for Steve's first really great year. 18-8, 3.38 ERA and look at all the innings he ate up. He did give up 21 homeruns that year, but was third in the NL with wins, fifth in games started and placed sixth in Cy Young voting.

If you're not careful, you could easily get the next two cards confused for each other, especially if you were just looking at the backs...


1993 Donruss #26


1993 Upper Deck #246

I hope I'm not the only person to think that Upper Deck and Donruss looked almost exactly alike in 1993.


1993 Topps Stadium Club #626

Also in the box was a second 1990 Bowman and another 1990 Donruss Rated Rookie. I'm looking around to see if anyone's had luck with Steve Avery signing through the mail, and those two would be wonderful cards to have signed.

5 comments:

halos17 said...

If you end up going for the '89 Bowman set, let me know. I've got quite a few doubles and I too am trying to complete it. I'm down to about 30 left to finish it. -Rob

Ben said...

I'll be sure to let you know. It won't be for a while, I don't think. But I do have a job interview tomorrow, so if that goes well, I may treat myself to a box or two of 89 Bowman.

night owl said...

I, too, have lots of '89 Bowman. But I am not trying to complete it. So more than happy to send some your way.

MMayes said...

If I remember correctly, one of those games Avery threw at Durham (referenced on the 1990 Bowman) was a no-hitter, but it came just after I'd graduated law school and left town. I'd like to have seen a no-hitter.

Anonymous said...

good luck with the Avery collection. i am currently at 214 cards of him.