Thursday, March 19, 2009

Young Superstars II #20 - Darryl Strawberry


This is a great shot on Strawberry concentrating on the pitch. He had one of the nicest swings in baseball.

Who's that on deck behind him? It's most likely Kevin McReynolds.

We all know the tragedy of Darryl Strawberry, so I won't get into it. He was a great player who gave up a lot.

He's one of only three players who have played for all four original New York teams (Yankees, Mets, Dodgers and Giants).

Darryl Strawberry's career statistics

4 comments:

MMayes said...

I'm too lazy to look. Who were the other 2 to complete the Yankee, Giant, Dodger and Met circuit?

Ben said...

According to Wikipedia, the other two are Jose Vizcaino and Ricky Ledee.

Jinxo56 said...

I tried to post on your 89 Bowman Blog but for some reason I couldn't. There are 11 cards in that "insert" set. They actually gave away one of each of those, plus a full 1953 Bowman set. The cards you will find are '51 Mickey Mantle, '54 Ted Williams, '51 Willie Mays, '53 Mickey Mantle, '51 Whitey Ford, '49 Satchel Paige, '49 Duke Snider, '50 Jackie Robinson, '48 Yogi Berra, '49 Richie Ashburn, and '49 Gil Hodges. If you look on the back of that card and get a magnifying glass you will find that under number 4. I couldn't find my magnifying glass so I scanned the back of the card and enlarged it to get that information.

Ben said...

d'oh. Guess I should have turned the light on and read the back. It's amazing how much you can learn by reading something.

Oh well.

Now, to go figure out why you couldn't comment...